This recipe came together like most of mine do. I get inspired by something I see online or eat somewhere and then I decide to re-create it with my own spin.
Recently, I had dinner at a friend’s house and she made a delicious sweet potato hash very similar to this. After we ate, I complimented her on the meal, and she shared with me the recipe she’d found online.
I didn’t make any notes or really commit to memory what spices/seasonings were used. But I did note that I would have to make a hash soon.
That brings us to a week later…Friday night and I decided tonight was the night to make this. And I knew I had to post it right away because it’s just that good.
If you love this recipe, I made a similar one a year ago and you can find that post here.
1 medium sweet potato, diced
3/4 pound spicy pork sausage (can sub any kind of sausage; if you are vegan, I’m sure you could use whatever sausage substitute you prefer)
16 oz. brussels sprouts, ends removed and halved
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup spicy mayo (combine avocado mayo with either sriracha or chile pepper sauce from Trader Joe’s, quantities based on preference)
3 adult portions
- Preheat oven to 425 d.
- Spread diced sweet potato on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Roast sweet potato for 20-25 minutes until soft and crispy.
- Meanwhile, spread brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Once the sweet potato is done, roast brussels sprouts for 10-15 minutes until soft and slightly charred (to preference).
- While sweet potato and sprouts are roasting, drizzle olive oil in a pan and then brown sausage over medium heat.
- Once mostly cooked, add bell pepper and onion. Cook until veggies are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir for about 30 seconds to combine spices.
- Plate sweet potatoes, sprouts, and pork/veggie mixture.
- Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. (Omit if paleo or vegan).
- Drizzle with spicy mayo. (Omit if vegan).